eGRID performs a full steady state calculation of radial electrical grid systems. For design, optimisation and documentation of the grid connection of both a single wind turbine generator (WTG) as well as several groups of wind farms. eGRID can also calculate a traditional grid without any WTGs. The graphical user input of lines that “snap” to WTGs, transformers or loads sets new standards for graphic design of electrical grids. The calculation results can be checked according to different norms, standards and guidelines. This happens very flexible according to local and country-specific built-in demands and regulations.
The calculations are based on two engines: Load Flow and Short circuit both developed by University of Kassel, Germany within the frame of the EU financed DISPOWER project (2002-05).
Necessary Input Data (objects)
Please note that the objects are entered in the windPRO module BASIS, where objects are put directly on a map and properties applied. Besides WTG objects, these are the new objects for eGRID:
eGRID covers the most specific tasks needed for calculation of WTG grid integration:
- Annual losses in cables and transformers based on local wind climate
- Check of the cable and transformer design (load in percentage of capacity)
- Steady state voltage variations based on two free-definable load situations or auto-defined (from Norm)
- Short circuit power and current
- Voltage fluctuations (long-term flicker)
- Voltage variations caused by switching effects
- Verification of the calculated values with determined demands given by e.g. the utility
- List of cables and components used for cost calculations, including both cable length and excavation length, taking topography and gradients into account.
The user can easily calculate the complex structure for e.g. several wind farms or offshore farms in a large grid area. Special electro-technical knowledge is not required. Even if you only require a software tool for just the calculation of expected annual electrical losses for a wind farm, the eGRID module is the right choice as this part is typically not included in other grid calculation tools, and the reports are easy to read for investors.
The report generator offers the following reports:
- Design check
- Voltage variations
- Short circuit
- Long term Flicker
- Voltage variations due to switching effects
- List of electrical components